Favorites: In the Hospital.

Now that Mason is a year old, I thought I would think back and make a list of our favorite things from the first year. I'll do a few posts starting from birth and going to his first birthday. 


* * * * *

We were at the hospital a total of 5 days from November 7th to the 11th, experiencing things from hall walking to the operating room, lots of welcome visitors to middle of the night wakings from the nurses, and extreme fatigue to midnight snacks. Here are some of the faves from my hospital stay.

Camera
I needn't explain this one, I'm sure. But, I figured I would share the camera we have. It is a Canon Rebel XSi and I am a fan. I can use the manual mode to get the shots just as I want them, and when my husband is behind the camera, he can switch it to automatic and it still takes great pictures. I wasn't at a very good angle to take pictures of Mason being born or afterwards, so Tyler was in charge of that. He got some good pictures to document those moments.



Non-slip socks.
Yeah, mine were dorky and an ugly tan, but who was I to care? A room full of people just spent a good half hour staring at my body naked from the chest down, like wearing a dorky pair of socks was going to phase me. I was scared to walk around after surgery (it hurt!). The last thing I wanted to do was slip and fall. Besides, they kept my little toes nice and snug. The hospital gave me my pair (free with abdomen slicing?), but there are cuter ones out there, like these:






Water, with a straw.
This one may seem kind of simple, and dumb, but I'm serious. Between those painful contractions, I had little time to re-hydrate. I'd say/yell, "Lindy, water!", she'd bring it over to me, I'd suck in as much as I could before the next contraction started up again.  It was just so convenient to always have that water sitting right next to me. I loved it. See, simple. I used the styrofoam cups they kept bringing me, but I think it would be smarter (and by smarter, I mean greener) to bring your own. Perhaps one that wasn't made of the most dangerous plastic?



Pillows.
Lots and lots of fluffy pillows. When I was learning the ins and outs of breastfeeding, I relied heavily on propping Mason up on heaps and mounds of pillows. Sometimes when he would eat in the middle of the night, I would make Tyler give me his pillow because the 17 I already had weren't enough and I needed just one more. My poor husband, I'm sure that didn't make his fold down, lumpy couch bed any more comfortable. Good thing I was the only new mom in the hospital, or they could have experienced a severe pillow shortage.


That's really all I can think of, hmm, the mixture of lack of sleep and pain killers must have zapped my memory.

Comments

Popular Posts